Frequently Asked Questions: (3/3)
(0) What if I must miss the first day or two? We may consider an individual who has a good background and can make her case about promoting the goals of this seminar. (The stipend would be adjusted.) We should have recordings of the main sessions. Write to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
(1) What are the Instructions for Applying?
These are on the first post of this blog. The Cover sheet contents may be found in the menu of pages at the top of this blog. Please type and pdf your responses.
(2.) Will I have to have a background in statistics before the seminar?
The main aim of the seminar is to provide such a background. So, the answer is no. You’ll have a chance to describe your background in your application. Some will have stat and no philo, and we might break out into groups with one group working on philo, the other on stat. You can follow our current graduate Seminar here.
It’s useful to know some probability, and I find it helpful to watch some of the seminars at the free Khan Academy: AP Statistics. Participants are expected to have read at least 3/4 of SIST (Mayo 2018) in advance so that they can participate and keep up with the discussion in our condensed schedule.
(3) Where is Virginia Tech?
Blacksburg, Virginia–in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mts pictured below.
(4) Who can I contact with questions that aren’t answered here (after December 26)?
We will try to cover all conceivable questions in the instructions here (at least by Jan. 3, 2019). However, if you have other questions, please write to
email@example.com (logistics administrator) or firstname.lastname@example.org using the following subject for your email: SUMMERSEMINARPHILSTAT in capitals.
*(5) Are graduate students eligible to participate? Advanced graduate students working on a dissertation in this area will be considered. Interested participants who aren’t sure if they are eligible to apply should definitely ask.
*Modification (3/3) A Ph.D student already fully responsible for teaching a course in 2019-20, who can show the goals of our Seminar are furthered by how it will alter the material of that course (& the topics of their dissertation), may be considered,
(6) Are individuals who teach in business, statistics or other fields who feel they would contribute to our mission eligible? Yes. Explain in your application how your project or research would bring our goals to fruition.
(7) What if families require larger dwellings? Blacksburg offers a wide-range of summer rentals of houses and apts. We will do our best to facilitate any participant needing such arrangements.