Click on the title of the post or page to open it to see all the information.There is also a search box at the bottom of the front page. The latest (5th) schedule is here. Check back for updates (this is (i)).
- From the Airport: Remember, you need to reserve a shuttle IN ADVANCE if you plan to take one to the hotel. They are located right at the baggage area of the airport. (You can email them to schedule as well: firstname.lastname@example.org). Try to group with others. If you are taking the SmartWay bus (which goes to Squires, but not the hotel), you don’t need to schedule in advance. [UPDATE: SmartWay bus does not run on Sunday to airport, nor do they have any transfer arrangements. Arrangements for the shuttle from the Marriott or individual rides will have to be made later, but we have plenty of time.] Information (webpages and phone numbers) for both can be found here: https://summerseminarphilstat.com/2019/02/02/local-maps-transportation/
- At Squires Student Center: If you’re arriving at Squires Student Center (on Virginia Tech Campus) in the afternoon, and need someone to take you to the hotel (1 mile) please let us know fairly soon and we’ll arrange it. If it’s evening, and we’re at the dinner, we should still be able to find someone to fetch you. (walking map)
- Hotel: Information about the hotel can be found here: https://summerseminarphilstat.com/housing/
- Local Maps and transportation: https://summerseminarphilstat.com/2019/02/02/local-maps-transportation/
- Shopping (farmers market, grocery stores, pharmacy, malls, big box stores, etc.): https://summerseminarphilstat.com/2019/07/11/shopping/
- Cafes & Restaurants: https://summerseminarphilstat.com/2019/02/02/blacksburg-cafes-restaurants/
- Local Attractions: (including parks, trails, fitness): https://summerseminarphilstat.com/2019/02/02/local-attractions/ and also here
SUMMER SEMINAR SPECIFIC INFORMATION:
- Schedule: https://summerseminarphilstat.com/schedule/
- Directors: https://summerseminarphilstat.com/directors/
- Special Invited Guest Speakers: https://summerseminarphilstat.com/guest-speakers/
- Participants: https://summerseminarphilstat.com/summer-seminar-participant-profiles/
- A. Spanos book: Some people asked about the material from Aris Spanos’ new book (which is not even out): The first 5 chapters are being sent to you, more will be provided when you’re here.
- Captain’s Bibliography (selected references): https://summerseminarphilstat.com/background-readings/
THE FIRST WEEKEND:
Saturday, July 27.
- We will meet at the check-in desk on Saturday July 27 between 6:20 and 6:30pm to go to dinner. (Residence Inn to Country Club map). If you miss dinner, please come to the reception at Thebes (info in your letter).
Sunday, July 28
- Jean will meet everyone at the check-in desk at 9:30am to walk together to Pamplin 2030. The hotel does have a van, if available. It’s 13 minutes, walking slowly. (Residence Inn to Pamplin and Burruss map)
- We’ll be using one other room, Burruss 123A, the “connected” room. At the end of our day Sunday, we will walk to Burruss 123A, which is 3 minutes away, and the Philosophy Dept in Major Williams Hall (5 minutes away).
- The schedule indicates the rooms. It will all be very clear and we’ll be together. The schedule, of course, may change, but you’ll be notified.
- For the first week, we will often be in a “connected” room which, strictly speaking, does not allow food. But we can have water bottles with tops. You can bring coolers with food for breaks or whatever you like. Coffee and hot tea drinkers might bring a thermal mug, if they have one.
Included at your hotel:
- Full hot American breakfast is served in the hotel lobby/dining area M-F 6:30-10am and weekends from 7-10am.
- A Residence Inn (RI) complimentary “mix” from 6-8pm on Mon, Tues & Wed with beer/wine & hors d’oeuvres.
STIPEND, EXPECTATIONS, AND CONDITIONS OF AWARD Individuals selected to participate will receive housing and a stipend of $1,000 (in two payments) to cover travel, food and other expenses. Housing expenses will be paid directly to the residence beginning check-in on Saturday, July 27.
Thanks to the generosity of the fund for E.R.R.O.R, we will provide:
- 2 dinners, Sat July 27 and Sat., Aug 10 at the Blacksburg Country Club. Each is followed by a reception (as indicated in your letter). We will meet up at the hotel front desk between 6:20-6:30 pm July 27 to leave for the Country Club.
- Box lunches for the two Wednesdays.
- Coffee and fruit for each afternoon break; we do have use of a fridge in Economics (Pamplin 316); bring what you want for the morning break or go to Seattle coffee or Subway (M-F). If you have an insulated lunch bag, you might bring it.
- Participants are invited to take turns bringing a snack (with a “phil stat” theme) to add to our PM break; we will go alphabetically starting with Z (list to be provided).
- Everyone will get a turn at the “Captain’s lunch” at Preston’s at the Virginia Tech Inn. (Mayo invites to follow).
- Hot tea drinkers: let Jean know.
- Everyone (or most everyone) will get a day to be a scribe, starting with A. (List to be provided).
VIRGINIA TECH WIRELESS NETWORK:
- You each will be able to get on line on campus with a user name that was emailed to you.
Please write if you have questions to Jean Miller (PhilStat Assistant)
Other graduate assistants will be:
- Brian Dorazio (Economics)
- Si-Hua Chang (Philosophy)